Friday, March 2, 2012

Our All Talk, All the Time Culture

I've been thinking recently about wisdom. In particular, I've been thinking about where it has gone in our society.

The wisest people I know are most often the ones who speak the least. And in this is perhaps a conflict between wisdom and our society. We TALK all the time. TALK radio is an entertainment juggernaut, with both hosts and callers scrambling to put their thoughts out there to a wider world. The entire Web 2.0 phenomenon, with its every-user-a-contributor ideals, is saturated in the pursuit to speak and be heard. The 24/7 news outlets talk until there is not a shred of news left in their "news."

I think that there are tremendous benefits in these. Technology has allowed even the least among us to have a voice. In a world where ruling powers have almost unlimited capability to do anything they wish, the ability to shout to shine a light on injustice and protect the innocent is precious.

I just wonder if all this talk, talk, talk, scream, shout, argue, debate is hampering our capacity for true discernment and wisdom. And yet we desperately need those who can spread the message of freedom - and by definition, talking is necessary to do that.

I do recognize that even as I type this, I am engaging in the practice that concerns me. Although it is highly unlikely, considering my readership, that anyone will ever see this... ;-) I am just mulling the question - in all of the noise, what quiet wisdom are we missing? And is it that wisdom that could save our country?

I don't know. I'll hush now.

No comments:

Post a Comment