Saturday, November 20, 2010

I'm Not a Blogger


I’m not a blogger. I will go ahead and admit defeat in advance. I will not be regularly updating. I will not be doing research. I will not write witty, pithy, insightful prose. In fact, I do not even know what “pithy” means. Okay, I lied. I just Googled “pithy,” so I now know what it means.

I do not like blogging. I have two other blogs which have not been updated in over a year. Sad. True. Yadda. Yadda. To be a read-worthy blogger, you must work. Hard. You must research your subject. You must understand the different sides of the issue. You must write diplomatically and without overuse of hyperbole, at the risk of being accused as a conspiracy theorist. I do not like blogging.

I do like Twitter. But sometimes 140 characters simply will not suffice. My tweets do not require 72 hours of intense research, battle-tested insight into the political process, or encyclopedic knowledge of every player within the beltway. When I tweet, I just say what I think. And what I think matters every bit as much as the opinion of a political industry professional in DC. It’s the beauty of our system of government, ain’t it? Twitter allows me to express what I think BETWEEN ballots cast. I do like Twitter.

So, you can think of this blog as an extension of my Twitter stream. I’ll only post to it when I have something to say that takes more than 140 characters, or if I have something to say that I may want to refer to in the future.

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard of "blogging", it was explained in a rather disparaging tone as simply putting one's rambling thoughts onto a web page for everyone to see. So that's how I define my blog. Not disparagingly, but in the spirit of free speech and expression of opinion. So in that sense, you are indeed a blogger. And I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete